Whether your migraine is episodic or chronic, it can interfere with your everyday life, and decrease your productivity. The exact cause of migraine is unknown, but usually results from abnormal brain activity which temporarily affects nerve cells, and blood vessels in the brain.
It can be triggered by change in climate, extreme hunger, or strobing lights. There are several medicines available which are basically painkillers, and help the individual with their headache for the time being. However, there are a few yoga poses you can try to deal with the ailment without resorting to medicines.
Standing Forward Bend
- In this position you will have to bend forward, stretching every back muscle in the body.
- Start by standing up with your feet together.
- Evenly distribute your weight on both feet.
- Breathe in and raise your arms aloft.
- Maintain the pose for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Don’t forget to breathe deeply.
- When you inhale, extend your arms upward and gradually go back to the standing position.
- On exhale, raise the arms to the sides.
The Child Pose
- In the child pose, you start by sitting on the floor with your legs bent.
- Then you lean forward, and lower your forehead to the floor, while your hips remain on your heels.
- Stretch your arms onto the floor, while your palms and hands remain on the floor.
- Press your chest towards your thighs
- Hold this position for a few seconds
Other Tips to Follow During A Migraine
Switch of the Lights
Like I mentioned earlier, light sensitivity can be one of the causes for your migraine. Especially for me, a little interaction with high-beam cars on the highway and my migraine instantly gets triggered.
Caffeine in small doses is great for headaches, and migraines. Especially if you are desi like me, there is nothing a cup of chai won’t fix for me, even a migraine . Try taking a cup of coffee, or a cup of tea for your migraine.
Make sure you Take Rest
Migraines can keep us awake at night, or even prevent us from falling asleep. One of the things doctors recommend for migraines is sleeping pills, to make sure the patient is getting uninterrupted rest throughout the day.